Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Formative Evaluation bears fruit

A vital part of the IFI is giving the instructors opportunities to practice what they are learning. As they practice, we offer them "formative evaluation" and here are the new insights and perspectives they are gaining regarding the guided practices in the IFI:


  • I am learning not to call my mistakes, “margin of error” but rather “the lesson of the day.”
  • I am very pleased that I did so poorly on my first guided teaching practice. Now I see that to fail is to succeed.
  • I am sorry to say that I have never said: I was wrong. I made a mistake. That’s how I was raised. But being in these classes here at the IFI, I feel like I’m in another world. For those who need to be active and playing with something, they give us toys, we even toss them at each other during breaks! We can speak freely. What’s more incredible is that we are free to make mistakes! I haven’t come to an IFI, I have arrived at God’s school for me!
  • Oops, I messed up. Oh well, I made a mistake but no one got on my case. What’s more, they actually congratulated me the next round because I looked for help and learned from my errors.
How do you feel when you make mistakes? What has been your experience regarding getting evaluated? I'd love for you to share with me your thoughts!

1 comment:

Pearl and Safwat Habashi, Pittsburgh, PA said...

Thanks for last e-mails. The 360 re. evaluation made me think of many evaluations I had in nursing career over the years. Some were revealing and really helped me grow; others were a shock but sure opened my eyes to changes I needed to Make.

As far as making mistakes,it shakes me but at last I have come to conclusion as you have-they can help me to learn and not repeat them.


Well, take care of yourselves as we continue to pray for you all.

Blessings

Pearl (Safwat joins in special greetings)