Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Learning to receive criticism gracefully....

Going back to school has provided the Lord with a new means of knocking off my rough edges. I believe we are "diamonds in the rough" and God lovingly molds and shapes us into greater conformity to the image of His Son.
Although necessary, that process is not pleasant. Let me give a recent example.
For almost every class I take at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (TEDS), a final paper is due. This paper typically requires long hours of reading, researching, investigating and synthesizing what you have read into a well-written document. I enjoy writing and so after some 100 hours of work all-told, I finished my paper just in time to receive the work team North Way Christian Community (Pittsburgh) first of August. I was pleased and anticipated good feedback and a good grade.
Several weeks later I received my grade and the feedback.
The teacher graded my paper as a B- and gave me an opportunity to re-submit it, should I choose to improve it. In addition, my professor generously invested the time to give me detailed feedback on exactly why my paper did not meet doctoral standards.
I was not a happy camper.
Why was I not a happy camper?
My first theory was that the teacher was mistaken.
My second theory was I needed only to tweak my paper.
My third and final theory was that theories one and two were wrong.
Just like I teach my children that their teachers are their God-given authorities and must be obeyed and submitted to, God was giving me the opportunity to apply my own teaching.
After re-reading my paper in light of the professor's comments, I came face to face with my own incompetency. I thought I knew how to write. But not at this level. I moved to another level: I went from being unconsciously incompetent to being consciously incompetent. Ouch.
The crux of theory three is that the problem was me. My pride was hurt. As I shared my dilemma with my prayer partner and friend Marcela, she gracefully told me that I was very good at offering constructive criticism to others and that God was using this minor setback to help me become aware of how others might feel when I critique them.
Ouch.
Growth in sensitivity to others comes with a cost and God loves me enough to correct me.
What has made this experience particularly memorable is that I have re-written my paper in an effort to learn how to write academically sound papers.
In summary:
  • Be humble and accept criticism.
  • Don't become defensive.
  • Study how to write academic papers. Read books on it.
  • Re-read my paper with at least two other people to get their feedback.
  • Find my own voice, don't just nicely compile and organize other people's quotes.
  • Synthesize, not summarize what others write on the subject.
I have a long way to go in learning both to give and receive criticism gracefully, I thank God for His patience and persistence.

What area of growth are you currently struggling with? Share your comments, I"d love to hear them, we can learn together.

3 comments:

Aunt Betty Brown, OK said...

Ah Lisa, what a beautiful "voice." Receiving criticism is tough, and you gave a wonderful spiritual lesson for all of us. Just this morning, I had composed a long (snail-mail) letter to a friend who is in a crisis state with her daughter who is battling anorexia. I have learned to rely on the judgment of my office-mate/best friend/husband to "vet" important documents such as this, to see if I hit the right note in my messages. As it turned out, Jim was critical of two particular passages in my letter which he thought were over the line in my comments. Reaction number one: DEFENSE! Then, after reflection, accepting a valid criticism and re-casting the possibly upsetting sentences. Thankfully, I had read your e-mail prior to this event, and was able to draw on your wisdom to see things through a different glass.

I think you will recall that when you pressed me for an evaluation of your paper in question I suggested that it may not be up to academic standards in research. A fine piece it was indeed, and practical too for those in the field, but hardly master's level academic quality. Frankly, I would not be too disheartened over a B-minus grade, but I'm glad that you were motivated to dig in deeper and try a second time. Yes, academically respectable manuscripts are a different animal from our usual styles of writing -- and truthfully pretty "stuffy" to my taste. But -- this is part of the learning process, I guess. I'm doggoned glad that I don't have to jump through those hoops any longer...I can just face my computer and let it rip!!!

Your newsletter received today (raising funds) was a perfect example of your casual and effective every-day writing style. In the long haul, this will serve you better than all the research papers in the TEDS library. But, in the short haul --- you are on the right track with your checklist, ending with the daunting "synthesize, rather than summarize." I have never learned this lesson, so please don't ever ask for help on that - ha.

We enjoyed seeing V and V's baptism photos. Thanks for keeping us aware of their growth in stature and in faith. Love to you and your Big Three: aunt betty

Unknown said...

Aunt Betty,
Your letter to me is a perfect example of what my parents must have loved dearly about you.. you write as winsomely as you are in person… I appreciate your affirmation and it has helped to differentiate between the two valid but very different writing styles.
I am honored that the Lord’s dealing with me has helped you as well Aunt Betty!
Love you dearly,
Your niece,
Lisa

Bryan McCabe said...

Hi Lisa.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this subject. I definitely am learning all about the challenges of academic writing, and the different standards held by my professors. I hope to have your attitude when I receive criticism about the things that I'm writing about.