Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lead not for the applause

LEAD NOT FOR THE APPLAUSE

Henri Nouwen’s book, In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership (1994) took me a few hours to read, but I fear it’ll take me a lifetime to live. His anti-intuitive advice on leadership couldn’t be timelier for me since the question that drove me to pursue further studies has been: How do you develop leaders who develop leaders? Perhaps through this little book, I am catching the first glimpses of an answer, but it is very different from what I expected.

  • Do not lead out of your competence, lead out of your vulnerability.
  • Do not lead out of your self-confidence; lead out of your fullness in knowing you are loved unconditionally, completely, without limits by God the Father.
  • Do not lead like the “Lone Ranger Pilgrim”; lead willing to be hidden behind or alongside of others unseen, not in the spotlight.
  • Do not lead for the applause you may acquire; lead others to follow the One you so fervently follow.
  • Do not purpose to lead in this manner as if it were a TO-DO-LIST item that you could eventually check off your list.

To lead in this manner is not a question of working harder, or knowing the right model to emulate, learning the right skill set, reading the right books, knowing the right people, growing in my competencies. This, by the way, is precisely how I was approaching my time of studies at Trinity. Thank you Lord for showing me just how misguided I have been.

Nouwen (1994) points out that you can only overcome these temptations by adopting spiritual practices, something akin to learning to run a marathon by diligently jogging and training everyday. The spiritual discipline of contemplative prayer reminds us that being a leader is not about feeling important and competent; it is all about answering the question Christ put to Peter before he sent him on a mission to feed His sheep. Do I love you Jesus? Do I love you Jesus? Do I love you Jesus? Pondering that question reminds me that leading is not about me, it is not about what I do or do not do. It is not about my successes and accomplishments nor about the goals I set and reach. It is all about knowing that I am loved unconditionally and without limits and in response to His first love (I John 4:19) I can guide others to be loved by Him as well.

The spiritual disciplines of confession and forgiveness will keep you vulnerable and aware of your need for others, definitely not traits most leadership books would preach about! Do I make it a regular practice to admit my shortcomings to my team? Not enough since most of them see me as “having it all together.” A friend of ours asked me the other day: Have you ever struggled with this? My husband Alfredo quickly jumped in and described a time in our marriage when we struggled with something similar but I was left with the sensation that even to our closest friends, I can unwittingly project a competent attitude which will inevitably create distance.

Last night a friend of mine asked me how I am and I proceeded to answer her commenting on how I am learning a new way to host short-term missions teams, how much I loved teaching my daughter’s second-grade class about heaven…. She perceptively replied: Why do you tend to comment on the externals of your life and not the internals. You tell me what you are doing but not how you are being.

That made me stop multi-tasking, look at the screen (we were on instant messenger) and ponder. Well, maybe because I usually am asking that question. Two, maybe because I have to start talking in order to eventually figure out how I am really doing inside. That is tough to do on-screen. But what if my two friends’ comments are related to what Henri Nouwen writes about the temptation for leaders to feel important, like when Jesus was tempted to turn the stones into bread. As a missionary I feel under constant pressure (mostly from within) to promote myself and the ministry. A part of me feels like I have to prove I am worthy of support, that by producing results I am “earning” it. I would do well to write and share what I do on this blog and otherwise out of a profound sense of being loved by God unconditionally, not to impress or gain applause. So the next time someone asks me how are you? Why not refer to my internal state of being and say something like: I am trying to be different. I am striving to be humble. I am struggling to become irrelevant.

No doubt that might make for some interesting conversations.

I would welcome any comments or insights you might like to give me as I proceed in this journey. If you haven’t tasted Henri Nouwen’s books, I assure you will enjoy a feast with this book: In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership (1994).

Sincerely trying to be irrelevant,

Lisa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lisa for giving me an insight into a wonderful book that I hope to get soon!!! And the synthesis is great for starters ! God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about leadership – it is counter-intuitive, but so true!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, it is so great to see you using the web to communicate in this way. I too love Henri Nouwen as he was introduced to many at North Way by Dave Fleming years ago. I look forward to hearing more and more about this new "leadership style" as it develops in you. More than that I want to know more about Lisa and who you are becoming! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for the thoughts. Your new e-mail system seems to be working o.k., at least here in Pittsburgh! Hope you have a great weekend!

Joe

Anonymous said...

Lisa
That's good stuff. I'm encouraged by what the LORD is teaching you. We'll try to be irrelevant together, in our separate places.
love you in Jesus
Daniel

Anonymous said...

Well, Lisa....you wanted comments on your thoughts regarding Nouwen's
book....? Books on Leadership, in my experience, do not always have all the answers. When I was at Dayspring Bible Training Center (a very small school) we read a book entitled "Lead On". I do not remember who wrote it. But both myself and my husband did not agree with many of the principles it taught. Our teacher thought the book was great. We did not. And that teacher/ "leader" pushed his own programs....and left us....as friends and as a Christian "leader".
Nouwen's book, from what you have shared---and no I haven't read it...yet....offers some good advice....to 'Lead not for the
applause', and not to be recognized, I think it would be good to "let your heart and inner struggles show". How you get over them would be an encouragement to us/me. Or rather, how the Lord
brought you through such times.
I wonder if you realize how blessed you were to have such parents.
To have been taught Christian principles as to who you are in
Christ, and simply to have been encouraged with something like "you
can do anything you put your mind to." Many people do not know
these.
As for me, a good Leader imitates Christ and serves. He or she helps, encourages, and sits alongside the poor, the sick, the
lonely, the prostitutes, etc. He was a common "folk", even though
he was The Lord. I take great comfort in that he was born in a
stable, shared meals with common people, and needed to get away
often to rest and pray with his heavenly Father. This tells me that
He has time for me.
Thankful, that He cares about my little life,
Shu

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa, I just read the final report from your Workshop. Reading the remarks on the evaluation forms, from before and then after, was amazing. I think many of the conclusions they came to can be used with adult new believers,
too.
May God continue to bless you and your family as you work on your studies at Trinity. We so enjoyed the evening we spent with all of you, Jan. 4th, 2008, celebrating your 25 years in ministry.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Thanks for your wonderful letter updating your work in LA and your blog. I am so glad that your doctoral program is providing exciting material that is applicable for your work with CCI/LA.
You are a blessing to so many people. Keep up the great work.

Bud

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have just been asking God for the last 2 months to help me be a "good leader" at work, I felt I was not trying hard enough, and not being too effective, and I did not undertsand why because I was surely working enough! Now I see a that I was relying on my competence not on the Lord's strength! Anyhow, we'll ponder more on that later, in the meantime let me tell you I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I don't need to read these heavy duty books anymore, I'll just read a synopsis on your blog, yeah! I am also honored you mentioned our question!!!! Can't wait for your next entry!
Marcela from Honduras