Sunday, January 19, 2014

Insights & Impressions from Latin Americans on US History & Pittsburgh

When the Latin American team was in Pittsburgh last summer, we visited for an entire afternoon the Heinz museum in Pittsburgh and here are their impressions and insights:
Pittsburgh today

Robert Bruneau, Panama
Pittsburgh a century ago
They cherish their US history and culture and don't stain it or change it according to the political party in power. Plus this city had amazing innovation and patents by many common people, like the factory worker who invented a movable bed for his sick wife that eventually became the standard for hospitals!

Evelyn Umana, El Salvador
I didn't know that the discoverer of the polio vaccine was from Pittsburgh, Mr. Saulk, as a pharmacist, I have always had great respect for him.
I always wondered in those old movies why they called a refrigerator an “ice box” and now I realize that indeed prior to refrigerators, indeed, they would cut out blocks of ice from the rivers in the winter and put them in a box!

Rixy Leiva, El Salvador
As I walk through the museum, I find myself asking how has Pittsburgh shaped who Lisa is? 
It seems you can’t live here without loving the Steelers, and Lisa is most intense about the Steelers. Maybe Lisa got some of her inventiveness from this city too.

Gloria Martinez, Mexico
Both Duglas and I were impacted by slavery exhibition even the background music saddened me.  
Carlos Baca, Honduras
They kept artifacts and call them antiques that I recognize them from my childhood, hmm, that must make me an antique!!

Duglas Aguilar, Guatemala
As I walked with Lisa through the section on the Steelers Championship teams, I was amazed that she used to remember numbers according to the jersey number the players had: If she needed to remember number 59, she’s think of Jack Ham, number 59 Jack Ham, number 12 Terry Bradshaw, etc.. Wow, she sure knew all the players from 1970s!

Alfredo Umana, Honduras
I know Lisa has a strong sense of belonging and Pittsburghers have a strong pride in their city and this has, no doubt, given her a strong platform and base of support to launch from.

Alvaro Cordero, Bolivia
Bob Sabean (a passionate lover of early US history) gave us insight into the religious nature of the seven year-war between Britain, France, and the Indians prior to the American Revolution. 
As I walked into the exhibit of the slavery I was so saddened man’s inhumanity to man, that is universal.  Even the rug you walked on had images of slaves. 





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lisa,

Reading the insights you've posted remind me of us Americans when we have the opportunity to travel and experience another culture... To drink in what that distant land has to offer... Your team getting to come here to where your vision was birthed and to see how your culture influences you is a special gift... Reading about the glory days of the Steelers and how you can recall the players of that era had to be enlightening, although when I think of those times I also think of a city in transformation... Isn't that who we are... people being transformed by the living God in the person of Jesus Christ? As your team received a history lesson the message you and your team bring to kids at camp is even greater... Think about football from an American's point of view, then think about football as the rest of the world views it... Quite different isn't it? Your team while in the midst of having fun at camp also have the joy of being able to communicate a universal message... the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ... Speaking of glory this is it! To proclaim God's glory in and through His Son... Yep the Steelers won Championships and will probably continue to so in years to come... You and your team have the privilege to win something greater... Hearts for Jesus Christ... this to me is Super!

In His All Sufficient Grace,
Pete Pugliese