Sunday, November 24, 2013

“Your father was my surrogate father.”



Those were the words a complete stranger spoke to me after the church service at Memorial Park Church. She smiled as she saw the surprise on my face and proceeded to explain: “George Anderson. That man was like a surrogate father to me. He was my ‘pretend’ father during Glenshaw Players theatre production of South Pacific. I listened with interest: “My father died when I was nine years old so when I played the role of his Polynesian daughter in the play his kindness and the role he played made a huge impression on me just when I needed it. I have always wanted to thank him, but now I get to thank you.”  

Where, but in Pittsburgh, could I discover precious gems like that memory? Thank you Lord for how modern missionary life allows me to return yearly to my home base!





Alfredo giving the benediction at Memorial Park Evangelical Pres. Saturday night service
At that same time, Alfredo had moved to the back of the sanctuary to greet people at the end of the service at Memorial Park Church. A woman came up to him and said: “Your mother-in-law, Bobbie Anderson, helped me become a Christian when she taught my Sunday School class—I was 4 years old! And I have been attending this church ever since, and have remained faithful to the Lord.”

I didn’t even know my mother taught a 4-year-old Sunday School class!

Once again my heart was filled to overflowing with news of how God used the “good works” of my parents to make long-lasting impressions on people.

Here is an audio link to listen to my father, George Anderson, singing Some enchanted evening  from the play, "South Pacific."

No comments: