Sunday, November 3, 2013

"Lisa," I was asked, "why did you stay in missions for 30 years?"


In the end and in the beginning, I believe it has been God's purpose for me and so He has given me the drive to stick to this one thing and persevere.
I wanted to make a difference for Christ.
I wanted to make a mark in Christian camping.
I love what I do and can’t see myself doing anything else.
I love those with whom I work.
At a pivotal stage, soon after my mother passed away, a mentor of mine, Sibyl Towner, shared how she had stayed the post at her role in Family Ministries for 25 years at College Hill Pres. in Cincinnati and eventually saw how the church ministry joined with the camp ministry and left enduring change for Christ’s Kingdom. That comment inspired me.
God gave me a firm launching pad with my parent's faith, solid church backing and excellent pastoral support over the years. My youth pastor, Jay Passavant wrote a blog post about the role of perseverance (see link- Blog by Pastor Jay Passavant on me)
As a child, I saw how my father admired Naomi Sutter’s sticking with her mission work on the Papago Indian Reservation and her example inspired me. 
Pastor Jay Passavant and I (at 16 years of age) serving Naomi Sutter on the Papago Indian Reservation.


























6 comments:

JoAnn Oberle, Pittsburgh, PA said...

Lisa,
This has brought memories from the past. Way back when, I drove Naomi Sutter to a home meeting led by Jean Yanakos. Here I later received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and was also baptized in your mother's swimming pool on Meadow? Drive. My life has been forever changed. God is GOOD!
JoAnn Oberle

Jack Voelkel, USA said...

Thanks, Lisa, for passing on the blog, and congratulations that Jay recognized the reality and significance of your perseverance. This is a note that needs to be struck in this day and age of short term “inoculations” which so often substitutes long term mission experience.

Thank you for your faithfulness.

jack

Dorie Blair, Pittsburgh, PA said...

Dearest Lisa,
I have been wanting to write to you since you were here in Pittsburgh. When I saw the picture of your Mom and Dad in a recent email and now the picture of you and Jay, well I just had to "pen it"! I am so impressed, blessed and delighted with what you have done with your life. I remember you well as a little girl when I brought my 3 kids to visit you and your Mom. I loved your parents, especially Bobbie who was without a doubt such a mentor to me and a very wonderful friend. She was so real, honest and open with her faith, which was so obvious, and she wanted it for her friends as well. I see that in you now as you continue to reach out in so many ways to minister to hundreds of people through your camping ministry. Yes, there were many who helped you on the way, but you enriched and extended your territory in so many ways, and of course with God's help.
Those tears we shared at your luncheon meant so much to me. I felt we were reaching to the heavens to Bobbie and my Gil to enclose them in our embrace. What a blessing you are and will always be to me and so many others. May God continue to bless you in your ministry.

Much love,
Dorie

Betty Brown, OK said...

Lisa, this is a truly wonderful TRIBUTE from a man of God whom I know you (and countless other Christians) admire/respect/revere. Perseverance is indeed a trait that few achieve to your level. I also celebrate your thirty years of mission and ministry and the million-plus lives you have touched and changed for the good through Christian Camping. There must be a lot of rejoicing going on in heaven at this time too, because you and Jay have some pretty significant friends there. Carry on! Love, aunt betty

Dan Balzer, Chicago said...

Hi Lisa:
This is a great tribute to your faithfulness. Jay asks in his blog what areas we need perserverance - I've got several on my list! I'm learning that there are no shortcuts.

Hang in there for the next 30.

Peace,

Dan

Dan Bain, Nicaragua said...

Well amen for perseverance. Well done, Lisa, and I appreciate the reminder. I need a good dose of perseverance in my life right now...and always, I guess :)

Bendiciones
Daniel