Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Long term results from Short term missions trips--A North American perspective

As I mentioned in the previous post, by taking the time to trace God's handiwork through short term missions trips, Henri Doren (my co-leader) we have discovered some long lasting fruit resulting from this brief forays into Honduras. (the pic to the left is from a reunion of past work team members this past Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh)
  • Derek: "We helped organize the trip from the State's side, then brought them to Honduras. This served as a wonderful preparation for our current missionary service in China where we have served for the past 7 1/2 years. It was good to see a missionary like Lisa on the field who could serve as an example to us."
  • Holly: "Someone backed out at the last minute at giving their testimony and I reluctantly took their place. Speaking in public was one of my worst fears (still is) BUT, from that point on I was to share my testimony to every single taxi driver in China where we have served, together with my husband Derek, for the last 7 1/2 years. I am grateful for the training ground that Honduras was for our current ministry in China. I appreciate Lisa's timely advice and encouragement over the years."
  • Diane: "When in Honduras I had an opportunity to interact with children during Vacation Bible School at a refugee camp for victims of Hurricane Mitch. This time sparked a connection with children that set me on a course upon my return to go to college to become an elementary school teacher. God is awesome!"
  • Ann: "I have grown in sensitivity to intercultural "spiritual gifts" which we can draw out from one another, learn from one another and pass on to others."
  • Teresa: "The hardships I experienced on these trips have enabled me to endure challenges in my job like when my co-workers are disgruntled with me, giving me a hard time because I love my job, excel at it, and am joyful. I know God is in control."
  • Steve: "In 1999 I went to Honduras with my parents and sister. As a result, it had a lasting impact by deepening my relationships within my family."
  • Corina: "I have felt affirmation for the gifts God has given me.
  • " It's not wrong, it's different, we were taught to say. God has broadened my worldview to include more of the world --to accept other cultures, other points of view, and to have more grace."
  • "It helps me to remember that God is bigger than my culture and what I can immediately see. It is eye opening and helps me keep perspective on who we are in Christ." (the picture to the right shows the work team members together with the Honduran volunteers cooling off in the creek at Fountain of Life Camp.)
  • "Since going on several trips, I now have greater confidence in leading groups and I have found my niche for service in my church and beyond.
What a privilege that God has chosen us to play a small part in His overall plan for bringing signs of His Kingdom here on earth!

No comments: