Sunday, December 15, 2013

The team of Latin American's close encounter with Ligonier's "Vomit Comet" and other adventure activities

During the Pittsburgh Leadership Summit this past summer, one evening, all but two members of the group made our way into the woods of Ligonier Camp and Conference Center to the Giant Swing—affectionately called “Vomit Comet” for reasons you can imagine. After a thorough briefing on the numerous safety measures related to wearing a helmet, harness, and how we’d all protect one another’s emotional safety through a full value contract (encouraging one another both verbally and with body language) we were prepared to be pulled up high into the air, then the “flyer” would pull a parachute like cord, and be released to sang into the air.
During the debrief afterward Karina (Argentina) shared the following: “I wanted to challenge myself to take another step of faith since I have already done the Trust Fall. As I was strapped in, pulled up high (just beyond my comfort zone) let loose and swung high and low, I extended my arms to fully feel my faith step. As I mediated on this, I realize that my faith today was based in part on the foundational safety briefing we had. And I think just like their safety measures gave me a firm foundation to trust the system, likewise my time in Scripture and studying God’s Word gives me reasons to trust, it solidifies His trustworthiness.

I wanted time to slow down since I was living a dream these days the team of Latin Americans was in Pittsburgh this past summer. Each day was pregnant with new concepts forming in the minds of the Latin Americans. I saw connections being made between theories like power distance (link), low and high context cultures (link), and problems at home and church. I saw how the evening activities we participated in at Ligonier Camp connected with things we were learning during the day with Jim. Without a doubt, I am a firm believer in experiential education and found myself delighted daily in the discoveries we were all making. 


I trust you will enjoy this 5 min. video composite of pics and video clips of our team at Ligonier, making connections and learning through our experiences.
Adventures Latin American team had at Ligonier Camp


1 comment:

Safwat and Pearl Habashi, Pittsburgh, PA said...

Hi dear Lisa and ;Alfredo:

Just watched your "Vomit Comet" video. Can't believe how you venture up to the heavens and climb those trees! Is that what keep you young, Alfredo and Lisa????

Keep believing in experiential education.. I found that enlightening too, many years ago as I did nursing and studied at Pitt. Wonderful experience.

Tell dear Valerie and Victor we always enjoy their smiling faces and hope they will have a wonderful Christmas way over there.

Keep up "adventuring".

Much love