Sunday, October 6, 2013

Reactions of the professors the first time they saw the entire set of CCI/LA publications

When the team of Latin Americans arrived to Pittsburgh, our first activity together, after having spent a couple of days with their host families, was to be presented with the entire set of CCI/LA's written curriculum for which they were being prepared to take over. Even though many of them had been teaching several of the manuals for years, these were the latest editions. Moreover, they had never seen all the materials together, not to mention the statistics of the fruit God had borne.

Evelyn Umana, El Salvador
Look at these books, there is far more than paper here, far more than ink, far more than attractive covers and layout, there are thousands of lives, even 1.3 million lives impacted for Christ. These book have evolved from the first time I received them as a student in 1993 into something I see now like a cadillac.

Norma Canales, Honduras
 I was greatly impacted by the statistics shown on the pyramid. I started serving with Lisa when she arrived in Honduras in 1990 and have taught those very courses over 40 times since I began an instructor. It was like God said: “Norma, your name is not only in those books as a contributor, but the names of thousands of campers are in the Book of Life as well! I was so moved that I started balling and the images of hundreds of camp counselors and program directors I have trained with those materials flashed through my mind. In my mind, I fell down and worshiped the Lord for giving me the privilege of serving him in Christian camping for the last 23 years. 

Alvaro Cordero, Bolivia
 I have worked with a number of non-governmental organizations to help the people of my country. One thing I can say of CCI/LA is that it provides a better way for the church to teach and impact lives for Christ. These publications are so complete that you will find something for everyone.


Analu Cornejo, Peru: 

What I see in this presentation is obedience to a call from God on the life of Lisa Anderson-Umana to equip the Latin church for the work of the ministry through Christian Camping. Glory to God! 
Rixy Leiva, El Salvador

 These materials are ours because we have helped to form them. Our lives are written on each page; our steps in leadership are illustrated there; our spiritual formation has taken shape with the turning of these pages. It has not been easy first to be students of these courses, then instructors of these courses, and now professors teaching the instructors. 

Duglas Aguilar, Guatemala

I have worked with Lisa for the last 10-12 years in graphic design, lovingly laying out the pages of each of these publications but as I see them all together and hear our testimonies, I am amazed at the breadth and reach in each of our countries they have had. 

Alfredo Umana, Honduras: 

"I remember the first time I saw these training manuals in 1992. They were in their first editions and now, more than 20 years later, I can barely recognize them. They are very impressive, well diagrammed, with written, and continue to change lives just like they changed my life so many years ago."

Karina Zara from Argentina con nuestro profesor, Jim Plueddemann

I am amazed at the extensiveness of Christian Camping International, Latin America's curriculum. As a professor of this material, I ask myself: Can my teaching do it justice? 
Safwat y Pearl Habashi

 I attended Lisa's presentation and we were overwhelmed by the immensity of what Lisa has done during her 30 years with CCI. The video clips give you a glimpse of the magnitude of the work. So far 1,300,000 children have benefited from their efforts. The testimonies I heard from the leaders she brought to Pittsburgh were very inspiring. These were all professionals in various fields who pledged their free contribution to maintain the programs in their countries.


Roger Rumer from Memorial Park Church (man in the black tee shirt) Thanks for passing along the video from Lisa Anderson-Umana. I watched it earlier this morning and it set the tone for my day. I too am praising God for the work that He has done through Lisa’s faithfulness. I also noted that Lisa was impacted by Naomi Sauter’s witness as a missionary and inspired to do something. What began as a “mustard seed” of Lisa’s first mission trip to Native Americans was grown into a fruitful tree of the ministry to Latin America. God is magnificent! Roger Rumer 


(see the links below if you haven’t been able to watch the videos)
  

Links to English video clips





5 comments:

Jennifer Gray, England said...

Bobbie would be so proud. Well done! Aunt Jen.x

Jack Voelkel, USA said...

Rejoice in the joy of accomplishment, Lisa!

Dan Balzer, Chicago said...

Lisa:
You are so thorough at both telling the personal story AND tracking the numbers. Keep up the great work!

Dan

Cathy Schmacher, Chicago, IL said...

Hi, Lisa. I finally had a chance this morning to watch your videos on the publications and work you've been doing in Latin America. I am SO impressed! As I watched and listened I recognized so much from our Wheaton College classes together, and from our Comps weekend at Honey Rock! I could just picture Jim Plueddemann sitting in the room with you, cheering you on and saying, "Yes! You got it, and you're using it!" As I watched I kept thinking, "Yes, that's the top rail, good tie to the bottom rail, great transition concept!"

God has indeed worked mightily through you and the people has has brought into your life and ministry. Do you feel a little like Noah must have felt? He, too stepped out in faith to accept a call to a seemingly overwhelming task. He spent years building, planing the boards, pounding one bolt after another, following the plans God gave him with all the skills and the sons God gave him. He must have wondered how he would pay for the next delivery of wood and when he would find time to gather the food they needed both during the work and for their time on the ark. And suddenly one day, it was done: the ark was ready, and before he could stop to worry about how to gather the animals in, he looked up and saw that God had brought the right ones literally to his doorstep.

Of course, the "work" wasn't over - tending this diverse flock with all their various needs, dividing up the work load with his sons and daughters-in-law, trying to keep their balance as best they could in choppy seas, and patiently (at least some of the time) waiting for God to plant their feet back on solid ground again. Not to mention raising a family to fear and love God in the midst of it all! No wonder he built an altar and praised God for His providence! I think this must be how you may have felt during the last 30 years. And like Noah, I know God is not finished with you yet :-)

So CONGRATULATIONS! The materials look and sound wonderful, and God has clearly blessed you to see the impact your faithful devotion to the task has had: 1.3 million -- and counting!

I told my son about the videos and the impact, and what amazing things God does with the prayers and contributions, large and small, of many people coming together in His name. I hope he will hide that in his heart and let it work in him.

May you continue to feel the hand of God upon you as you raise your family and raise up leaders to walk beside other pilgrims on the road to Christ.

Jim and Betty Brown, OK, USA said...

Hi Lisa -- I really enjoyed the recap from The Burgh, and especially the photos of your merry band. The two V's are growing fast now! I wanted to tell you that Roger Rumer's parents were close friends of ours in Upper St. Clair. His Dad died last year at age 90, but his Mom still lives in Williamsburg VA where they had retired many years ago; we are still in contact with her (Shirley Rumer.) I suppose you know that Roger's wife, Betsy, is a pastor -- attended seminary later than the norm. Perhaps she is still on the staff of your church in Allison Park. They are a wonderful family for sure, and it made me happy to read Roger's words of praise and support of your ministry. Thanks -- love, aunt bbb